My feedback or feature suggestion is...

can you please add subtitles to your videos as my students are Deaf and I have to interpret using Auslan all of your videos, or even better

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminDaniel Mee (Online Manager, Behind the News) responded  · 

Just another update to this – we now have subtitles on some individual stories as well as the episodes. We still have to do subtitles by hand and we don’t have the resources to do this to all stories every week but just look for the CC icon in the player and it’ll have closed captions. Also, because of the time it takes to do them, captions may not appear on stories until the Wednesday. If you have any questions please email me.

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subtitles also help students develop their literacy skills. Students concentrate more on the story with subtitles.

More than half of the students at our school are learning English as an Additional Language/Dialect. They watch BTN regularly online and would really benefit from having access to the captions feature.

Looking forward to the new capability becoming available asap!

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wondering if it is possible to have captions/subtitles displayed when using Behind the News on the web. I work for a deaf school and our students watch recorded versions of BTN so that we can use captions or we use an interpreter.
    >
    > It would be ideal if captions could be available as an option when viewing online. I am sure that a number of deaf schools, and main stream schools that have deaf students or hard of hearing would certainly benefit from enabling this feature.

• Kate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I agree with the other comments. I teach a child with a profound hearing loss. I would like to be able to watch BTN with the subtitles/captions on. We watch it via the website each week on our interactive white board and do not have access to televisions with teletext. I feel that my student is being disadvantaged.

Please make this a priority!

• gemma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as others have said - subtitles are hugely important to further understanding for the deaf - and in particular to my international students that watch.
    make the change!

• Amanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you watch BTN through ABC iview most of the time the episode is captioned. Generally the current and previous programmes are available. I am an itinerant teacher for hearing impaired students and I encourage the teachers I support to show BTN this way through iview using an electronic whiteboard.

• Sara Kenfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without captions it is almost impossible for students with a hearing loss to follow what is being said on video. They are extremely disadvantaged!

• Alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - this would be so helpful for so many kids - ESL as well as hearing impaired. Are we able to write to the provider of the video player so that they can see a need for subtitles? Is there an email address that would be good for that?

I also have hearing impaired students in my year 6 class and also think it would be great if your segments were subtitled.

Feedback and Knowledge Base