My feedback or feature suggestion is...

accessing closed captions

I work at a school which watches taped versions of btn and was wondering is there any way to access the captions from the taped DVD or is it necessary to record the show with the captions showing.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
cinzia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminDaniel Mee (Online Manager, Behind the News) responded  · 

The video player has finally been updated and now allows us to add subtitles to videos. The main issue now is obtaining those subtitles automatically (have to do it by hand currently) and making adding them to individual stories. But for now, the main episode, after a few days, has subtitles added. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to email me. Thanks!

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminDaniel Mee (Online Manager, Behind the News) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Closed captions are a feature of the broadcast that needs to be turned on at the time of the recording - I haven't heard of it being captured 'in the background' as part of a recording so I am pretty sure it's not available on your recordings.
    While the Behind the News' website video players do not yet have closed captions, it is available via ABC's catch up TV service iView. You can access iView here: http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/behindthenews
    Please be aware though that there is a HUGE increase in bandwidth required to view iView content. Compared to the Behind the news players at 300kbps, iView requires 1100kbps.
    To access the closed caption service, start playing a show and click the CC icon on the lower left to enable closed captions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base